History of the Uxbridge Masonic Hall


Uxbridge
Masonic
Hall

26 Spruce Street
Uxbridge
Ontario


The Uxbridge Masonic Hall, was built in 1962 by Zeredatha Lodge # 220 G.R.C. Not only has this building been the home of this Lodge for 48 years, it is a veritable storehouse of 19th century Masonic art, the work of the late Brother James T. Dowling. The artwork is painted on several rolls of canvas, seven feet in height and totalling four hundred and twenty-seven feet in length. Although faithfully preserved, because of the size of the paintings, they are only occasionally displayed. Also,several plaques by Dowling are mounted on the walls of the Lodge Sanctuary.

The very first meeting of the Lodge was held in July 1870 in the hotel owned by a Masonic Brother, W.J. Annand. Over the years the Lodge met continuously, but in six different locations within the community. It was resolved to build a permanent home for the Lodge, and on 3rd June 1962, the present building was dedicated by the Grand Master, M.W.Bro. R.W. Treleaven, assisted by Rt.W.Bro. T.F. Dodson, D.D.G.M. of Toronto District #3, and 53 other Grand Lodge officers.

The records indicate that 2157 recorded hours, (and countless unrecorded hours) were contributed by the brothers of Zeredatha Lodge to the construction of the new building. Additionally, $12,000.00 was received in donations, and many of the furnishings were donated by brethren and by other Lodges. Total cost of the building in 1962 was calculated at $23,969.85 dollars.

AlzheimerSocietyLogo


2015-2016 District Charity


Masonic Foundation of Ontario Project No. 2599


Contact Us | All images are property of York District AF&AM GLOCPO © 2009